Fay, Gustav, Hanna, Ike … with each storm you think, maybe I should buy flood insurance. If you have seen the damages brought about by storms, then you know that lack of preparation can be serious.
“I’m not in a flood zone.”
- Low risk doesn’t mean no risk. In fact, almost 25% of actual flood claims come from low to moderate risk areas.
- Premiums as low as $129 a year could cover your property in a low to moderate risk area with a Preferred Risk Policy.
“This neighborhood has never flooded.”
- New land development can increase flood risk, especially if the construction changes natural runoff paths. Weather patterns are changing.
“I can’t afford more insurance.”
- You can’t afford not to purchase….Which check would you rather write: $7,500 repairs for 1-4 inches of water or $405 for your annual flood insurance premium for $100,000 in coverage?
Here are some other facts you should know
- Your homeowners’ policy does not cover flood damage.
- Flood policies take 30 days to take effect.
- Flood Insurance is your only guaranteed protection, getting it is easy….just give us a call at 718-494-4440
- Government assistance is only available in less than half of all floods, and it usually comes in the form of a loan–repayable with interest.
The author is providing the material and viewpoints on a generic informational basis. All references to various insurance policies, coverage terms, policy language, exclusions, definitions etc. are from a broad selection of general insurance information. It is not intended to be used for any specific policy or coverage situation. The views expressed by the author do not necessarily represent the views of the insurance companies it represents. Information provided by Wright Flood Insurance