Summer is coming up and that means family vacations. And nine out of 10 Americans will be road tripping to their vacation. Whether you’re planning a day trip to the Jersey shore or a cross country road trip to see the Grand Canyon, car safety can give you peace of mind so you can enjoy your time with (or away from!) friends and family.
Before you go:
- Get your car serviced. Regular maintenance such as tune-ups, oil changes, battery checks, and tire rotations go a long way toward preventing breakdowns
- Pack an Emergency Roadside Kit. Some suggested items are as follows: cellphone & charger, jumper cables, flares or triangle reflectors, motor oil, coolant, wiper fluid, tire pressure gauge and can of tire inflator & sealant, tool kit (w/ screw drivers, pliers, wrench, and pocket knife) bottled water, energy or granola bars, first aid kit, flashlight & batteries, and a blanket (yes, even in the summer months!)
On the road:
- BUCKLE UP! Every trip. Every time.
- Stay alert. Take the time to break for stretching, meals, and return calls or texts (resist the urge to check messages while driving!). If able, take turns driving and consider staying overnight at a hotel for longer trips.
- Share the road. Warmer weather means an increase in motorcycles, bicycles, and pedestrians.
- Heatstroke can occur in temperatures as low as 57 degrees, so never leave a child (or pet!) alone in a parked car, even with the windows down or the a/c running. And always check both the front and back of the vehicle before locking the doors and walking away.
- Check your surroundings before you back out of a parking spot or driveway. Every vehicle has a blind spot and larger vehicles such as trucks and SUVs are more likely than cars to be involved in backovers.
At Alpha/Omega Coverage, we can work with you to make sure you’ve got the coverage you need, while at the same time using all possible credits and discounts to make that coverage affordable. Just give us a call at 718-494-4440 or send us a note at Mike@insureSI.com. We want to help you meet your goals, and make sure what’s important to you is protected!
The author is providing the material and viewpoints on a generic informational basis. All references to various insurance policies, coverage terms, policy language, exclusions, definitions etc. are from a broad selection of general insurance information. It is not intended to be used for any specific policy or coverage situation. The views expressed by the author do not necessarily represent the views of the insurance companies it represents. Content has been referenced from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration